Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Personal Stylist for $25 or Less


My college roommates always laugh at the fact that after graduation I spent three years working as a fashion editor for a monthly magazine. If my readers knew what my roommates knew--that during my college years my biggest fashion dilemma was which color cardigan I should wear with my kacki pants and clogs--they would have turned their noses up at me as quickly as they could turn the page.

I'm sure that true fashion editors just intrinsically know what's stylish, but not me. I continually had to do research to figure out what the latest trends were that month. But, as my father says: "It doesn't matter how you get the answers, just so you get them." (He apparently used this statement as an excuse to cheat on tests in high school.) So, I thought I'd share some of my tips and tricks from three years of fashion research:

Tip #1: Not all trends are meant to be worn. In other words, what looks good on a toothpick sized model who's undergone hours of professional primping before walking down a runway or being photographed, does not always look good on the rest of us "sometimes I sleep in too late before work and don't bother to put makeup on" women. There's no harm in trying something on, but if you have any doubts, consult that one friend that you trust to tell you the truth no matter what, before purchasing.

Tip #2- Don't spend a fortune on styles that may fade with the season. You know the type. This year it's anything inspired by the 80's. I don't care if the other Jenn (Aniston) wears leg warmers to the Oscars, I am NOT resurrecting my pair. However, if you do have the urge for a hot pink leotard, I suggest going to Forever 21, H&M or Urban Outfitters.

Tip #3- Spend $25 a year and have Lucky and Elle sent to your home. (In layman's terms, that's called magazine subscriptions.) Unless you can't afford it. In which case, you can find the cliff's notes from every month's issue online. Actually, these days both magazines are giving bonus content online, but as someone who stares at a computer screen all day, I prefer to look at the hard copy. Elle will give you an idea of what's hot on the runway, and Lucky will show you how to wear it to work or on the town.

Tip #4- Never spend more than you can afford. I know that this isn't really fashion advice, but take it from someone who knows firsthand, wearing a Zac Posen dress with a Bottega Veneta bag is never as much fun if you've just maxed out your credit card. If you don't have the money in your bank account, don't bother to purchase it. I guarantee that whatever it is you want will look just as fabulous after you've saved the money to buy it. And if you're worried that it won't, it's probably not something you should be spending that kind of money on in the first place.

Until tomorrow,
Jennifer Lynn

No comments:

Post a Comment