Sunday, September 6, 2009

One Dimensional

I wasn't going to make a post while I'm out of town, but there's something inspiring about listening to crashing waves and watching the sunset. (One day I'll stop talking about my proximity to the beach, but today is not that day.)

I've been feeling very one dimensional lately. I get up, go to work, come home, cook dinner, eat and go to bed. The focal point of my day is work and while I really enjoy my job, I feel like it currently defines me. Rather than work being the main dimension of my life, I want it to be one of the many dimensions of who I am. So, I decided that rather than continuing to complain to Husband about how uninteresting I am (which is, in and of itself, uninteresting), I would use this weekend away to develop a list of things that I'd like to know more about and spend more time doing. (In other words, I was going to get a life!)

I developed my list of "things" easily enough: writing, cooking, internet technology, behavioral psychology and fashion. Writing is my passion. Cooking is something I do every day and something that Husband would benefit from. Internet technology directly relates to my job. Behavioral psychology is something I have a vested interest in. (More about that later.) As for fashion, well, I think you all know that I "heart" it!

I was going to make the content my blog entries stem from this list (e.g.- a series of entries about my culinary ventures or a series about the latest tech gadgets), but as I looked back over the list earlier today (while lying on the beach), I noticed that it was largely rooted in practicality-- and a bit boring. Discouraged, I picked up the book I have been reading, The Problem With Pain by C.S. Lewis. (Not the ideal "beach read" for those of you who might be wondering.)

As I was reading, I began to realize that I have things all wrong. As humans, we are created to be one dimensional. Our sole purpose in life is to bring honor and glory to our Creator. Therefore, all other things should seem "uninteresting" in comparison to the greatness of knowing God. This is not to say that I can't be fashionable, enjoy cooking, learn more about behavioral psychology or excel at my job; but it does mean recognizing that every "thing" comes from God and it's my duty to do everything I can to honor and glorify Him with those things.

I'm not sure what a life with a singular purpose of glorifying and honoring God looks like...but you can guarantee that I'll be updating you as I try to figure it out.

Until Tomorrow,
Jennifer Lynn

2 comments: