Tuesday, September 1, 2009

You are Autumn

I can’t believe today is September 1st. Labor Day is this coming Monday, and now that I’m too old to go “Back-to-School” (a.k.a. the true harbinger of Fall), the Labor Day holiday signifies the end of summer to me. When I lived in North Carolina, Fall meant that the leaves changed colors and fell off the trees into rainbow piles and that the weather started to get progressively cooler until it was time to break out the coats, scarves, gloves and boots I’d put in the back of my closet earlier in the year. (Personally, I’m getting a warm, fuzzy feeling just thinking about it.)

Now that I live in a little beach town in California, it appears to me that all things Fall related are, well, non-existent. I don’t think leaves fall off palm trees, and since the temperature stays about the same all year here, there’s no real need for winter coats. Heck! I don’t even think Fall in California means you can’t wear white pants or shoes anymore. I’m pretty sure that everyone out here has been breaking that rule for years—if they ever even abided by it in the first place. (Exit warm fuzzy feeling.)

I’ll admit that as I write this entry, I am feeling an overwhelming sense of sadness. Don’t get me wrong, I love my life and I love California (minus the 8.75% sales tax and Emo trends). But as Labor Day ushers in a new season, I can’t help but think of all that’s changed for me over the past year and a half. Today is one of those days when I miss all the people, traditions, and miniscule details of the life I’ve left behind in the South, colored leaves and winter coats included.

I know I’m not alone in feeling like this. It doesn’t matter whether you’ve moved across the country or not. People, places and things come in and out of our lives for various reasons and sometimes even the simplest reminders make us miss what we've lost or left behind. However, I'm reminded of the infamous verses in Ecclesiastes 3:1-8 where Solomon proclaims that there's a "time for everything and a season for every activity under the heavens...a time to plant and uproot...a time to weep and a time to laugh...a time to love and a time to hate."

I don't know who or what it is that you're missing. Chances are, it's due to a much greater loss than I've experienced. For that, I am sorry, and to the extent I can without knowing you, I grieve with you. What I do know is that no matter what geographical location or what emotional state our heart is in, the God of all seasons feels your pain. Whether it's your time to plant, uproot, weep, laugh, love or hate, trust the One, who works all things for our good and His glory if we let him.

Until Tomorrow,

Jennifer Lynn

P.S.- The title of this entry comes from the song "Every Season" by Nicole Nordeman. Click aforementioned title to listen, and enjoy!

4 comments:

  1. And I can honestly say, The South misses you. I miss getting ice cream with you, lunches after church, and our many convos about life. Funny how life changes. Loved your post. We're missing you. And I'm plotting an evil scheme to get you both down here. mwhahaha... I just have no clue how to do that yet ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh! I would LOVE to go get ice cream with you tonight!!!! Especially if it's as hot in Raleigh as it is here...Miss you, Friend!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know Fall is not the same in CA, esp. with our Indian summers--but it will get colder and you can break out the coats and scarves. Some of the trees change colors(i can show you where they are)and there is always apple picking--definitely an activity that signals that FALL is here!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'd be missing the East Coast too. It's gorgeous back there, and...apparently Fall here THIS year means Summer. THE HEAT, MAN!
    Well, lets pretend we're somewhere else tonight. The wine should help :)

    ReplyDelete