Friday, October 23, 2009

Fall Fashion From N-Z by Zee...Finally!


Alright. After much delay, I'm finally sitting down to write the second half of Monday's entry: My take on Elle Magazine Creative Director Joe Zee's Guide to Fall Fashion from A to Z. The unfortunate thing is that the last half of this list (N-Z) is incredibly disappointing. Zee was clearly grasping at straws to connect a trend to a letter of the alphabet.

Nonetheless, I promised you I'd finish the list--and you know how strongly I feel about list making. FYI- Elle's website keeps crashing my browser, so I'm having a tough time linking the individual trends to their original pages. If you want to see the original article, check out www.Elle.com/fashion. Here goes:

Nuts & Bolts- Or, studs and spikes. This goes along with my anti-rocker chick thing. Not a fan. However, I realize that some of you may be a little more hard core than I am, so I'd suggest checking out Jimmy Choo's new line of handbags and shoes for H&M. Cheap for Choo, but still too pricey for my blood. Lots of nuts & bolts detailing to be found on some of the shoes, though.

Over the Knee- I'm five foot one and three-fourths inches. (Believe me, the 3/4 inch counts when you're under five foot three.) If something's going over my knee, it might as well be a pair of fishing waders. For you leggier broads, though, i think it's a fabulously sexy idea. Unfortunately, the higher the boot, the higher the price. Good luck finding a pair for under $150. If you've got a Charlotte Russe near you, check these out. (I don't recommend purchasing online, as I'm guessing they look pretty cheap in real life, and you'd probably have to send them back.)

Puff Piece- Remember back to 8th grade when everyone was buying those big, Down Timberland jackets? Well, apparently they're back in style this season. If, like me, you gave your fluffy stuff to Goodwill a few years ago, I wouldn't rush out and purchase something puffy just to say you have it. I predict that this is one trend that will fade with the season. If you do feel the need fluff up your wardrobe, I'd recommend purchasing investment (a.k.a- expensive) pieces like a North Face parka or, my personal favorite, a quilted Chanel handbag--or the knock-off creation from up-and-coming Los Angeles based designer tenoversix.

Queensland- Think purple crushed velvet. Yeah. I'm repulsed too. The best way to wear this trend is a Juicy Suit or anything in royal purple. Personally, I'm waiting for this jacket to go on sale.

Realtime- Watches. You've already got one. It's now "officially" en vogue to wear it.

Surrealism- I can't really even describe this trend adequately. The best word I can think of is weird. None of this stuff looks like anything you could wear outside of the runway.

Think Pink- BCBG (favorite designer EVER) is my go-to retailer for fall brights, including hot pink. I'm crushing on this long cardi-wrap and this textured tube skirt. They're both around $130, but will more than likely go on sale.

Updated Updo- This is not fashion! This is a hairstyle! In protest, I will say no more.

Very Furry- Leave it to Lilliana--author of CheapChicas.com-- who I've touted before on this blog. This brown faux leather motorcycle jacket is two trends in one (fur and aviator) and comes in at just $72.99. I've already told Santa about it!

Waterproof- Once again, I'm not sure this is a full-on trend. However, I recommend two pieces: Burberry Rain Boots (investment) and Maybelline's Volume Lash Waterproof Mascara ($6.99 at drugstores, WalMarts and Targets everywhere). In fact, waterproof or not,Volume Lash is the best "cheap" mascara I've ever tried.

Xtreme Eyes- Make-up, not fashion, but if you're wanting to experiment with smokey eyes, check out Almay eyeshadows and eyeliners. The Intense-I line is my favorite. It stays on all day for a fraction of the price of designer labels.

Yellow- This is by far my favorite trend on the list. Once again, I'm going back to BCBG for my recommendation. (Sorry! I know this entire list hasn't been as cheap as the first one.) This sweater is priced at $128, but like I said before, BCBG knows how to throw a sale. I'm planning to make a trip to LA before Christmas, so I'll keep my eyes and ears open.

Zoology- I love animals, but I like wearing them in moderation. Shoes or scarves always add the right amount of "fun" for me. Try these animal print pumps from DSW ($39.99)

Well, I'm done. I hope you guys found at least one thing you liked on this list. Sorry it wasn't as useful as items A-M. Well, I should probably hop in the shower...Time for work. Yay for Friday!

See you this weekend for installment number two of Letters To My Former Self.

Until Tomorrow,
Jennifer Lynn

Photo courtesy of BCBG.com

3 comments:

  1. The Puff Vests were IN when I was a sophomore in high school. I remember--I got a maroon one with a maroon pager to match it for Christmas! BEST-CHRISTMAS-EVER!!!!!! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. The maroon pager really completed the ensemble, I'm sure!

    ReplyDelete
  3. love the over-the-knee boots at Charlotte Russe and it's buy one shoe, get one for $15. Perrretty sweet.

    ReplyDelete