Monday, October 19, 2009

Fall Fashion from A to M by Zee


I am a list maker. I don't care how many cool organizational tools my new BlackBerry has, there's nothing quite as satisfying to me as crossing items off a checklist. So, when I saw Elle Magazine's Creative Director Joe Zee's list of fall trends (Titled From A to Zee. How original.) I immediately got out pen and paper to write down the trends and all the items I "need" to add to my wardrobe in order to be fashionable this fall.

As I was writing, the thought occurred to me that you guys might like to know what Zee considers hot this season, as well as where to find key pieces for $100 or less. I'll tackle A-M tonight and N-Z tomorrow. Here goes:

Aviator- I've been on the lookout for a (faux) leather jacket, but until this weekend I haven't been able to find one that didn't look like plastic or didn't cost me my right arm. For those of you who live in San Luis Obispo, check out the jackets at Lucky LuLu's Boutique. Unfortunately they don't have a website, but they're under $70 and worth a look if you're local. For those of you who don't live in SLO but do have a Nordstrom close by (favorite department store ever, by the way) check out this classic aviator jacket for $58 or the even more adorable ruffled version for $68.

Buckles- Personally, I hate all the items that Zee chose to showcase for this trend. (Don't judge Burberry or Tory Burch by either of those offerings.) As I was searching for a pair of Restricted boots with buckles that I did like, I stumbled upon this pair from Sears for only $68. I have a similar pair, and I love them! Shorts, skirts, jeans--they go with everything!

Cocktail Dresses- Oh how I love a good excuse to dress up!!! Husband and I are going to Vegas during the first weekend in November, and I'm searching for a hot little number to wear out on the town. I'm a huge fan of basic black but I have to say, this Barbie pink number has ME all hot and bothered! (Before you fall in love, like me, I should tell you that it's $105. Look if you dare.)

Draping
- If you've packed on a few pounds (like me) recently, you'll appreciate the value of a good drape cardigan or top. They hide a multitude of sins, believe me! Banana Republic has the corner on the market when it comes to classy draping. This one currently retails for $90, but give it a week or two--it'll be on sale. In fact, you should never buy anything at full price from BR, Gap or Ann Taylor/AT Loft. Trust me. Thats a rule you should live by.

Electric Color- I've gotta say, bright colors are one growing on me. Especially when they're splashed in an otherwise monotone ensemble. The red necklace from H&M that Zee features in the Elle article is a great example. And speaking of H&M, did you know that Jimmy Choo is doing a new line of shoes for the store? And speaking of shoes, these teal knot front suede pumps from GoJane.com are not only electric but a steal for only $17.90...I'm adding them to my list for sure!

Full Bows- This is a trend I can't fully endorse. I think it's cute on other people; but you put a bow on me, and I look like I'm five years younger than I really am. A great alternative to bows (on tops) is ruffles. Once again, Banana Republic is my go-to store for all things ruffly.

Gilded- Or, in layman's terms, gold. Whether you wear it as an accessory or an embellishment, it's a timeless trend that just won't go away. I'm really into chunky gold accessories myself, like these Gold Dipped Leaf Earrings from Lillian Ray. (Sidenote: Lillian Ray takes custom orders, so if you see something gold--or not--that you like, feel free to request a custom item.)

Houndstooth- Something about this trends screams Cruella Deville from 101 Dalmations, but I love it! This cropped jacket from JCPenney offers a more muted version of what can be a loud fashion statement.

Indigo- Blue--or some shade thereof--looks good on just about anyone, and the good news is you can find articles of clothing in a blue hue just about anywhere. If you're looking to be bold in your use of the color, why not try blue mascara or eyeliner. Benefit Cosmetics BadGal Lash Mascara in Blue makes eyes of any color pop.

Joan Jett- Never have, never will be a fan of the rocker chic look. Nuf said.

Kisses- I think Zee was grasping at straws on this one. Come on! Kisses-- as in LIPS-- on clothing, purses and shoes?? Have we suddenly warped back to the 8th grade? I think I just saw Hello Kitty!

Luxe Hippy- According to Zee, the Luxe Hippy look is defined by "modern pieces adorned with lacing, tassels and organic elements." I'm not sure if this is exactly what he had in mind, but I have noticed that ponchos are making a comback this season, and I kinda like it. Yeah... that probably doesn't count. You're on your own with this one.

Menswear- Well, at least we're ending on a good note. Menswear has been big for a few seasons now, and as long as you wear it right, it adds a clean, crisp look to any outfit. Forever 21 has a boyfriend blazer I've had my eye on for quite some time. Don't be put off by how it looks in the picture online. I've seen it in the store and on a friend or two, and it looks great!

Well, there you go. Fall fashion from A to M by Zee. Tune in tomorrow for trends N-Z. Now, I've gotta go...crossing off "write blog entry" from my to-do list as we speak.

Until Tomorrow,
Jennifer Lynn

*Photo courtesy of Elle.

1 comment:

  1. ummm...packing on the pounds? hehehe...where are you packing them?? not possible!

    anyway, can't wait for your new site AND I love your fashion advice.

    Thanks for the mention of gold- I am LOVING gold too!

    ReplyDelete