Thursday, October 1, 2009

Maybe Crockpotting Is My Thing

Nah...The Fix It and Forget It people have the corner on that market. I have, however, had great success with not one, but two, crock pot meals this week. I'll post my favorite of the two recipes--Come-Back-For-More Barbecue Chicken--at the end of this entry.

Right now, I wanted to take a few minutes to talk more about my post In Search of My Thing. As a result of a random work experiment, I uploaded the post to Facebook, and I honestly had no idea that it would elicit the response that it did. I figured that, if anything, people would find my entry a bit of a downer and a good reason to stop--or never even start--reading my blog. Therefore, I was astonished to find that not only did people send words of encouragement my way (on here and on Facebook), but some of you indicated that you identified with how I felt.

I've been thinking about all of your comments over the past 24 hours and here's what I've concluded: Every one of us, at one time or another, feels inadequate in some way. Whether that feeling comes from not having a "thing"-- or not--it is always the result of a lie that is put in our head by Satan. My friend Mary (of Mary's Monday Musicology fame) put it best when she said that Satan doesn't want us to feel adequate because, "We aren't as vulnerable to his lies when we find our purpose and discover the gifts God has given ALL of us."

And He HAS given all of us a gift. It's simply our job to pursue the Lord and trust that He will reveal what "thing" He has called us to do during our time on earth. Maybe you'll find that you aren't called to do just one "thing." Maybe, as my friend Melanie said, your "thing" is to be "well-rounded" (a.k.a- a fabulously energetic multi-tasker). It doesn't matter, as long as you are well-rounded and fabulously energetic for His glory.

I'm still not sure what the Lord has planned for my life--or even for this blog--and I'm not planning to give up the search for my "thing." I do, however, plan to take the advice of Paul in 1 Corinthians 10:31: "So whether you eat or drink or whatever you do, do it all for the glory of God." I hope that those of you who identified with my post will shake off the discouragement (like I'm trying to do) and lock arms with me in serving our Savior-- the only "thing" that really matters in the first place.

(Sidenote: The comments I received on the aforementioned post came from people in four different states, who I have known in three different stages of my life: high school, college and engagement/marriage. To me, that is the perfect example of the power of internet to intertwine our lives with the lives of others whose paths we normally would not cross. End sidenote.)

Until Tomorrow,
Jennifer Lynn

(Crock pot recipe below)

Come-Back-For-More Barbecued Chicken
(courtesy of Fix It and Forget It!)

6-8 chicken breast halves
1 cup ketchup
1/3 cup Worchestershire sauce
1/2 cup brown sugar
1 tsp. chili powder
1/2 cup water

1. Place chicken in slow cooker
2. Whisk remaining ingredients in a large bowl. Pour sauce mixture over chicken.
3. Cover and cook on Low for 6-8 hours, or until chicken is tender but not overcooked.
4. If chicken begins to dry out while cooking, stir in another 1/2 cup water

Makes 6-8 servings

No comments:

Post a Comment