Monday, October 12, 2009

The Power of a Daddy


Today is Monday, and you know what that means: DANCING WITH THE STARS!!!!!! I just watched Melissa and Mark's performance, and once again, I was giddy as a school girl. Who knew Sabrina the Teenage Witch could dance a mean Charleston?

Today is also my dad's birthday. I could write a novel about my father. I'd start with his work ethic and end with his determination to provide a better life for his children than he had himself. Somewhere in the middle, I'd talk about how freely my dad shows his love to my mother, brother and I--something that is counter to our culture's definition of "masculinity." And yet, my dad is the most macho guy I know. (Sorry, Husband.)

Oddly enough (but not so oddly that I can't turn it into a nice transition), I was just listening to a sermon in which the pastor was talking about the importance of a father in determining a woman's view of herself. The pastor asserted that a woman who grew up without a stable, loving father-figure is more likely to constantly seek the approval of the opposite sex in her adult life. On the other hand, a woman who was raised by a father who affirmed her and demonstrated his love on a regular basis is more likely to grow up to be a confident, well-adjusted individual.

Of course there are exceptions to every rule; but I've seen enough examples of the aforementioned statements in my friend's lives, as well as my own, to know that the pastor's statements are more than just religious conjecture. Our fathers play a huge role in defining our self-concept and who we grow up to be. So isn't it comforting to know that regardless of how our earthly fathers measure up, all of us have a flawless Heavenly Father who knit us together in our mother's womb, making us fearfully and wonderfully made. (Psalms 139: 13-14)

When was the last time you looked in the mirror and thought those things about yourself rather than breathing a collective sigh of disgust over your hips, butt and thighs? How would we conduct ourselves differently if we lived for God's approval rather than the approval of our parents, spouses, significant others or friends?

To bring this entry full circle, I'll end by saying this: Regardless of what your relationship with your dad was like growing up, all of us were created in the image of an all-powerful, all-knowing and all-loving Heavenly Father who asks nothing else from us but to love Him and accept His Son.

And now back to my dad:

Daddy, Thank you for being the perfect picture of a man, a husband and a father. You are still the standard by which I judge every man, and I will forever be your little girl. I love you!

-Your Little Princess

PS- For those of you who haven't put two and two together, that's daddy's little girl above...=)

2 comments: